23 Şubat 2011 Çarşamba

Nady hopes to stay healthy, compete in left field

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- At 32, Xavier Nady is trying to re-establish his career after undergoing Tommy John reconstruction surgery twice on his right elbow. Nady played in 119 games for the Cubs this past season, hitting .256 with six homers and 33 RBIs.

Nady is so confident that he will get some playing time in left field for the D-backs this season that he's ordering his standard white batting gloves.

"Keep them coming because I just wear them out," he told longtime clubhouse attendant Bob Doty.

"The elbow, I've just got to stay on top of it, follow my program and do my exercises," he said. "Hopefully it will be a non-issue."

Manager Kirk Gibson said he's weeks away from making any decision about who will get the lion's share of time in left field or at first base, positions that are a wide open this spring. Nady has been working out this week in both positions.

"I saw the changes that were being made in this organization and I thought I'd have a great opportunity here to play," said Nady, who signed a one-year, free agent deal for $1.75 million, down from $3.3 million last year in Chicago and $6.55 million in 2009 from the Yankees. "I looked at the lineup and the pitching staff and said there are a lot of productive players here. It's a very good, young group that has very high potential. I'm excited to come here and contribute and we'll go from there."

This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.


View the original article here


This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder